Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity Statement
Together with its publisher, The Permanente Federation, The Permanente Journal is committed to creating opportunities for equity, inclusion, and diversity for its authors, reviewers, editors, readers, and other stakeholders. TPJ aims to lead with integrity and broaden access to scientific discovery. TPJ’s operational measures and editorial policies will enable more-accessible discovery for authors and readers, create equitable avenues for opportunity for future thought leaders, and promote increased knowledge in clinical medicine, value-based care, and innovations in health care delivery.
TPJ has adopted the Center for Diversity & Inclusion in Scholarly Communications’ Joint Statement of Principles.
- TPJ commits to fair and respectful treatment of all authors, reviewers, readers, and other stakeholders regardless of their age, race or ethnicity, national origin, institutional affiliation, sexual orientation, appearance, religious affiliation, citizenship, military status, disabilities, gender identity, family status, geographic location, or political identity.
- Continued commitment to impose no financial barrier to publication, such as page charges, color art charges, article-processing charges. TPJ will not impose any publishing fees to authors.
- Continued commitment to support fee-free access to TPJ, with support from The Permanente Federation.
- The Editors and editorial staff will adhere to best practices around manuscript management, editorial decisioning, and publication practices to ensure that all authors and manuscripts are treated fairly. All members of the editorial board will be provided access to trainings and resources to educate them on the latest in bias mitigation strategies and other equity, inclusion, and diversity research and recommendations.
- Content coverage will include topics to improve the body of knowledge related to equity, inclusion, and diversity matters as well as areas of research in which there are gaps in the medical community
- TPJ will routinely revisit its policies, processes, and procedures to ensure fairness and identify improvement opportunities (annually or more often as needed).
- All editorial board members must sign an annual commitment to uphold TPJ’s EID statement.
Updates will be made to this site from time to time to reflect TPJ’s current priorities regarding actions to enhance equity, inclusion, and diversity opportunities.
Last updated June 15, 2022.